Carbon Monoxide
6:21 am
Wed February 26, 2014

Death Of Northwest Family Shows Hazards Of Carbon Monoxide

Older houses in Oregon and Washington aren't required to have monitors until they undergo major renovation or are sold.
Credit Mike/Flickr

A couple and their teenage sons in Pocatello, Idaho, were killed over the weekend by a carbon monoxide leak in their home. Local officials say it's one of the worst tragedies in recent memory in the southeast Idaho community. Idaho, Washington and Oregon each have laws requiring carbon monoxide monitors, but those laws haven't been around long enough to cover many homes.

Read more
Biofuel Debate
7:38 am
Wed April 17, 2013

Carbon Controversy: Should the Northwest Grow Markets For Forest Biofuels?

A slash pile at a timber harvest site in the Tillimook State Forest. Advocates of woody biomass say slash like this can be used to replace fossil fuels.
Credit Marcus Kaufmann

More than a dozen Northwest schools and hospitals have replaced old diesel heating systems with boilers that burn wood pellets. Advocates say that this wood fuel -- called forest biomass -- is an affordable local source of energy. And it can help rural communities cut back on their fossil fuel use.

Read more