Northwest Public Radio Celebrates 90 Years Of Service
We are celebrating the 90th anniversary of Northwest Public Radio’s first station going on the air - December 10, 1922 from the campus of Washington State University. KFAE (later changed to KWSC and then KWSU) 1250 AM is one of the oldest and largest university-owned radio stations in the United States. At the inaugural broadcast, among the stated goals of the station where: “…to provide an information and cultural service to a wide area of population”. We are proud that 90 years later our core mission is unchanged. The service has grown to a state network of 18 stations and 13 translators, with staff, studios and offices in Tacoma, Tri Cities, Wenatchee and Pullman, serving listeners all over the region in towns and cities large and small.
It was in the KWSC studios that 1930 WSU alum Edward R. Murrow, the father of broadcast journalism, first sat behind a microphone in what just might have been the first radio broadcasting class in the U.S. Today, we are proud that we are a part of The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication at WSU and continue to help train and inspire the next generation of journalists.
Northwest Public Radio owes its longevity to dedicated staff, WSU leadership, communities we serve and listeners who have financially supported the station over the last 9 decades.
We look forward to what the next 90 years brings in our continued and steadfast service to the region.