One of the Northwest’s biggest dairy producers has agreed to a settlement with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. That’s after the milk co-op failed to report a chlorine gas release that required medical treatment for a dozen people.
Chlorine gas is highly toxic. It can make your eyes, nose and mouth burn. If you breathe the gas, it can cause respiratory problems or death. In May of 2012, a truck driver ncorrectly connected a hose to a tank at a facility in Portland. The truck was carrying a cleaning solution. A violent chemical reaction released chlorine gas. Darigold called the Portland fire department 15 minutes after the release. It failed to notify state and federal regulators, as required by law. The Portland facility released 166 pounds of chlorine gas over six hours, according to investigators. The exposure sent twelve people to the hospital. Darigold has agreed to pay more than $42,000 in fines.
Copyright 2013 Northwest Public Radio